As our community and state implement plans to address the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, United Way of Pickens County is rapidly assessing the most urgent needs on the ground.
United Way is coordinating services with local nonprofits and community leaders to provide support for Pickens County's most vulnerable neighbors during this critical time, such as food, shelter and access to basic healthcare needs.
We will update this page with resources and information as it becomes available.
South Carolina COVID-19 Testing Sites
Clemson Community COVID-19 Testing
**If you are Clemson University faculty, staff or student, please visit
. www.clemson.edu/covid-19 This site will provide Clemson University faculty, staff and students COVID-19 testing registration and testing site information.
Instructions for the Clemson Community COVID-19 Testing Registration
1) Prior to arriving at the community-testing site, you must register and obtain a COVID-19 testing QR code. To do this, visit www.cityofclemson.org and click on the blue “Community COVID-19 Testing Registration” button on the top left of the page. Follow the instructions on how to register and obtain a COVID-19 Community testing QR Code. Once you have done this, you are ready to be tested.
**Testing location is at Nettles Park, 102 Nettles Park Road, Pendleton, SC 29670, Monday thru Friday (Excluding Holidays), 7am thru 11am. Signage will be posted for parking during testing times.
When you arrive at the testing site, you will be required to present the QR Code you obtained from registration. Please have your QR Code ready on your phone or printed for scanning prior to arriving to the test site.
Note: The QR code you obtain from your initial COVID-19 testing registration may be used as many times in the future as needed without re-registering.
2) Make sure you have had nothing to eat or drink 30 minutes prior to testing.
3) This COVID-19 test type is Saliva PCR (not rapid antigen). The cost for this test is free. You should receive your test results via text and email within 24 to 30 hours of your test.
4) Please do not knock on the doors of the Parks and Recreation office. All city buildings are closed to the public and city personnel are not trained to answer community COVID-19 testing questions. Also, coming in contact with city personnell could potentially expose them to the virus.
If you have questions regarding the community COVID-19 testing while you are onsite during testing hours, please address the individuals from Rymedi located in the testing tents at the testing site.
to find other SC COVID-19 testing sites.
- Clemson Community Care remains open for regular service hours. Please confirm before visiting: 864-653-4460.
- United Christian Ministries remains open for regular service hours. Please confirm before visiting: 864-671-1134.
- SHINE Soup Kitchen will provide "to go" meals tonight (Monday, March 16) and will provide other "to go" bagged meal pick up dates.
- Meals on Wheels will close the two Young at Heart Senior Centers in Liberty and Central March 17-March 31. Senior members who have requested a daily meal will be offered the option of a home delivered meal. MOW will continue to deliver hot meals to homebound clients. MOW is preparing frozen and shelf stable meals in the event that volunteer deliveries become limited.
- WYFF is maintaining a list of area restaurants who are offering free meals to school aged children: https://www.wyff4.com/article/upstate-restaurants-offering-free-food-to-students-during-school-closures/31662340
- SDPC will be serving free breakfast (7-9 a.m.) and lunch 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.) for anyone under the age of 18. The student must be present for the meal to be served. SDPC is working on a plan for delivering food via school buses which they expect to begin Monday, March 23. More information to come. The free meal sites are:
- Central Academy of the Arts
- Chastain Road Elementary
- Dacusville Elementary
- McKissick Academy of Science & Technology
- Pickens Elementary
- West End Elementary
- Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas are suspending disconnection for nonpayment to all home and business accounts in South Carolina and six other states effective immediately.
- Charter is offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 students who do not already have a Spectrum subscription. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees waived for new student households. Confirm terms with provider.
- Visit SDPC for details on how students can access wifi in the parking lots of the following schools:
- East End Elementary School
- West End Elementary School
- R.H. Gettys Middle School
- Pickens Elementary School
- Hagood Elementary School
- Crosswell Elementary School
- Six Mile Elementary School
- Liberty Middle School
- Daniel High School
- United Way of Pickens County Free Tax Preparation sites are temporarily closed and all March appointments have been cancelled. When we have more to share, that information on rescheduling will be posted on our website and our Facebook page. Visit myfreetaxes.com or IRS.gov to see if any of these online tax preparation services are right for you. Check back with our website for updates.
COVID-19 Community Relief Fund
United Way of Pickens County has launched the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund to assist Pickens County’s most vulnerable neighbors with the resources they need during this critical time.
The COVID-19 Community Relief Fund will focus on supporting local nonprofit organizations working in areas identified as having high numbers of affected individuals, and those who are working with the most vulnerable populations in these areas to help respond to the physical health, mental health and economic impacts of the pandemic.
To make a donation to the Pickens County COVID-19 Community Relief Fund, click here.